eThis short manual gives a (more or less) systematic overview of "how things work" in our group. This manual is relevant for all "rtsys group members", which includes employees and students advised by a group member (bachelor/master/study/diploma/doctoral theses).
- Medical Emergencies: A First Aid Kit (Erste-Hilfe Kasten) is in the kitchen (Teeküche, Room 1120). Above the first aid kit there is a poster with basic first aid information including the name of the first aid specialist (Ersthelfer) for the floor.
- Evacuation (Geschossbeauftragter): In case of evacuation Tim Grebien is responsible that the floor is cleared.
- Tea: The probably most important piece of advice (apart from the previous two, which might actually save lifes...): participate in the "tea meetings". Daily at 9:30 am in the lab 1114/1115. Yes, this also applies to students!
- Energy Awareness: Be conscious of resource usage, including unnecessary stand-by operations. PCs and Displays should be turned off when leaving for more than a couple of hours.
- Group calendar: The central calendar is software based, see MIGRATE ME for usage instructions. Please mark planned absences there (travel, holidays).
- Oberseminar: The forum for internal presentations of ongoing research, including student theses. All group members (except for non-scientific staff) should give a presentation there once per semester, and should attend all presentations. Please inform the Oberseminar organizer in advance if you cannot participate.e
- Data Backup: Your home directory (rtsys account) is backed up daily. To save space on the backup drive, you should list parts that do not have to be backed up in ~/.backup-ignore. Detailed information can be found MIGRATE ME.
- Reporting Technical Problems: Go talk to the system administrator, write him an e-mail, or mention the problem during the daily tea meetings.
- Security: To prevent theft, all offices, labs and server/printer rooms should generally be locked if nobody from the group is around. The protocols for the different rooms in question are as follows.
- Rooms 1105, 1111–1113, 1116–1118: Locked by the last person to leave the room (for longer than a very short break - this qualification is henceforth omitted).
- Lab 1114/1115: Locked by the last person to leave one of the rooms. If you don't have a suitable key, find somebody in the other offices who does. Furthermore, the last person to leave one of the other offices should check that both lab doors are locked, or that somebody that has a key for the lab is inside and is aware that he/she should lock the lab upon leaving.
- Server/Printer Room 1122: Similarly to the lab, the last person to leave one of the offices should lock this room, or ensure that somebody is in the lab 1114/1115 that has a key to 1122 and is aware that he/she should lock 1122 upon leaving.
- General note: Beyond these codifications, use common sense to prevent problems. Also, this protocol is meant to prevent theft, not to prevent work. If you regularly find yourself kicked out of the lab or not getting printer access as needed because you don't have the right key, contact the head of the group about the option of getting a different key.
Things to do as a new member
There's some things you'll have to do as a new group member.
And there's even more things you'll have to do if you are a new Mitarbeiter.
- WWW Maintenance: To get write-access to our website (that is, to the Typo3 content management system), please ask the system administrator to request this from the webmaster.
- Personal Homepage: You should create a personal homepage, following the layout of the other personal homepages. After doing that, you should contact the secretary, who will link in your page from the Kontakt/Contact page accordingly.
- Drivers Licence: You should get a Landesführerschein, which permits you to drive a CAU vehicle (eg, for excursions). Contact the secretary for this.
- Parking: If you want to park on the CAU campus, you need a "Parkmarke". Contact the secretary for this.
- Publications: To list your publications correctly, you need to add your name to