- Ole Claußen, Implementing an algorithm for orthogonal graph layout, September 2010 (pdf)
- Christian Kutschmar, Planarisierung von Hypergraphen, September 2010 (pdf)
- Paul Klose, A generic framework for topology-shape-metrics-based layout, October 2012 (pdf)
KLay Planar encompasses planarization based layout algorithms. The main approach employed here is the topology-shape-metrics approach, which consists of the following phases:
- Planar subgraph - Remove edges until the resulting subgraph is planar. The goal is to minimize the number of removed edges.
- Edge insertion - Reinsert the previously removed edges and replace all resulting crossings by new dummy nodes. The result is a planar embedding (topology). The goal is to minimize the number of introduced dummy nodes.
- Orthogonalization - Find an orthogonal form by computing a series left or right bends for each edge (shape). The goal is to minimize the number of bends.
- Compaction - Determine specific coordinates for nodes and edge bend points (metrics). The goal is to minimize the length of edge segments.
The implementation is currently in progress...