This short manual gives a (more or less) systematic overview of "how things work" in our group. This manual is relevant for all "rtsys group members", which includes employees and students advised by a group member (bachelor/master/study/diploma/doctoral theses).
- Medical Emergencies: A First Aid Kit (Erste-Hilfe Kasten) is in the kitchen (Teeküche, Room 1120). Above the first aid kit there is a poster with basic first aid information including the name of the first aid specialist (Ersthelfer) for the floor.
- Evacuation (Geschossbeauftragter): In case of evacuation Christoph Daniel Schulze is responsible that the floor is cleared.
- Tea: Probably the most important piece of advice (apart from the previous two, which might actually save lifes...): participate in the "tea meetings". Daily at 9:30 am in the lab 1114/1115. Yes, this also applies to students!
- Energy Awareness: Be conscious of resource usage, including unnecessary stand-by operations. PCs and Displays should be turned off when leaving for more than a couple of hours.
- Group calendar: The central calendar is software based, see for usage instructions. Please mark planned absences there (travel, holidays).
- Oberseminar: The forum for internal presentations of ongoing research, including student theses. All group members (except for non-scientific staff) should give a presentation there once per semester, and should attend all presentations. Please inform the Oberseminar organizer in advance if you cannot participate.
- Reporting Technical Problems: Go talk to the system administrator, write him an e-mail, or mention the problem during the daily tea meetings.
- Security: To prevent theft, all offices, labs and server/printer rooms should generally be locked if nobody from the group is around. The protocols for the different rooms in question are as follows.
- Rooms 1105, 1111–1113, 1116–1118: Locked by the last person to leave the room (for longer than a very short break - this qualification is henceforth omitted).
- Lab 1114/1115: Locked by the last person to leave one of the rooms. If you don't have a suitable key, find somebody in the other offices who does. Furthermore, the last person to leave one of the other offices should check that both lab doors are locked, or that somebody that has a key for the lab is inside and is aware that he/she should lock the lab upon leaving.
- Server/Printer Room 1122: Similarly to the lab, the last person to leave one of the offices should lock this room, or ensure that somebody is in the lab 1114/1115 that has a key to 1122 and is aware that he/she should lock 1122 upon leaving.
- General note: Beyond these codifications, use common sense to prevent problems. Also, this protocol is meant to prevent theft, not to prevent work. If you regularly find yourself kicked out of the lab or not getting printer access as needed because you don't have the right key, contact the head of the group about the option of getting a different key.
- Kitchen: Don't ever dare to put dirty cups or plates or anything really anywhere except into the dish washer. If you notice that the dish washer has finished and is full of clean stuff, empty it and put everything into the cupboards. If the dish washer is still running, either clean your stuff yourself, or wait for the dish washer to finish, empty it, and put your stuff into it afterwards.
Things to Do as a New Member
There's some things you'll have to do as a new group member.
- Mailing Lists: As described here, you should subscribe to rt-all and KIELER developers are also required to subscribe to rt-kieler-devel.
- Git: To get access to our Git repositories on Bitbucket you need to be listed as a Bitbucket user by any memeber of the group.
SSH: If you do not already have an SSH key, you should generate one to get access to some of the systems you'll be working with. Also upload this key to Bitbucket to enable ssh access to git repositories.Generating an SSH key...
An SSH-Key is a key pair for use in asymmetric cryptosystems. It can be generated with the program
ssh-keygen, see man
ssh-keygenfor more details.
The filename prompt for the key can be skipped with return. The passphrase is a symmetric key that is used to encrypt your secret key; if you write something there, you have to enter that same password every time you use your key, e.g. when you log in with
sshon a machine where the key is needed. The file
.ssh/id_dsais your secret key, you must never give this file to anyone else.
.ssh/id_dsa.pubis your public key, this is the one you can give to others so it can be used for cryptography.
- WWW: To further familiarize yourself with the group's activities and processes, you should surf and read the group's website and wiki. In particular, there is further advice if you write a thesis or if you prepare a paper for publication.
- LaTeX: The group uses the kcss style for publications and theses.
- KIELER: If you are working in the KIELER project, see the project website and especially read and follow the KIELER wiki!
- Keys: To get a key to your office, please contact the secretary. (usually only for Master's students but ask your advisor)
- Account for Server: If you need access to a specific server for your work, you need to contact your system administrator. You may want an account on aeon and teach.
And there's even more things you'll have to do if you are a new Mitarbeiter.
- IfI Account: If you do not have an employee account at the institute , you should get one at the Technik Service (see here for further details).
- Mailing Lists: Subscribe to rt-ma.
- Photo: To get listed on the group's website and poster, please send a portrait photo to the secretary. The portrait photo should have a height:width aspect ratio of 4:3, eg 640x480 pixels (or higher resolution).
- BibTeX: At the group we maintain central BibTeX MIGRATE ME files and a Digital Library.
- WWW Maintenance: To get write-access to our website (that is, to the Typo3 content management system), please ask the system administrator to request this from the webmaster.
- Personal Homepage: You should create a personal homepage, following the layout of the other personal homepages. After doing that, you should contact the secretary, who will link in your page from the Kontakt/Contact page accordingly.
- Drivers Licence: You should get a Landesfahrerlaubnis, which permits you to drive a CAU vehicle (eg, for excursions).
- Parking: If you want to park on the CAU campus, you need a "Parkmarke". Contact the secretary for this.
- Publications: To list your publications correctly, you need to add your name to
/home/biblio/bib/bibgen.pl on the aeon server.
- Registration as a Ph.D. Student (ONLY Ph.D. Students):
- On this side, you need to fill out the two forms listed below "Antrag auf Annahme als Doktorandin/Doktorand". Those froms need to be send to the dean of the faculty including a certified copy of the certificate and the report of your degree (Abschlussurkunde und Abschlusszeugniss). After those forms are processed you receive a document stating that you are accepted ad a Ph.D. Student.
- On this side you need to fill out the form "Erklärung zur Einschreibung für das Studienziel Promotion" and if you were a student at Kiel University prio you also need a form for declaring a change of study. This can be optained here. Those two forms need to be handed in at the Studierendenservice.