- IfI Account: If you do not have an account at the institute, you should get one at the Technik Service (see here for further details).
- Account for Server: If you need access to a specific server for your work, you need to contact your system administrator. You may want an account on aeon and teach.
- Password: You should change your Password immediately using
- Mailing Lists: As described here, you should subscribe to rt-all and, if you are a new staff member (Mitarbeiter), also to rt-ma. KIELER developers are also required to subscribe to rt-kieler-devel.
SSH: If you do not already have an SSH key, you should generate one to get access to some of the systems you'll be working with.
Expand title Generating an SSH key...
An SSH-Key is a key pair for use in asymmetric cryptosystems. It can be generated with the program
ssh-keygen, see man
ssh-keygenfor more details. An example for its use:
msp@launchpad:~> ssh-keygen -t dsa Generating public/private dsa key pair. Enter file in which to save the key (/home/msp/.ssh/id_dsa): Created directory '/home/msp/.ssh'. Enter passphrase (empty for no passphrase): Enter same passphrase again: Your identification has been saved in /home/msp/.ssh/id_dsa. Your public key has been saved in /home/msp/.ssh/id_dsa.pub. The key fingerprint is: 9f:1c:23:48:62:8c:e7:92:40:13:d5:c5:f5:79:e0:bd msp@launchpad
The filename prompt for the key can be skipped with return. The passphrase is a symmetric key that is used to encrypt your secret key; if you write something there, you have to enter that same password every time you use your key, e.g. when you log in with
sshon a machine where the key is needed. The file
.ssh/id_dsais your secret key, you must never give this file to anyone else.
.ssh/id_dsa.pubis your public key, this is the one you can give to others so it can be used for cryptography.
- Git: To get access to our Git repositories, register with our Stash system, upload your SSH key and ask the system administrator to add you to the user groups there.
- Photo: To get listed on the group's website and poster, please send a portrait photo to the secretary. The portrait photo should have a height:width aspect ratio of 4:3, eg 640x480 pixels (or higher resolution).
- Keys: To get a key to your office, please contact the secretary.
- WWW: To further familiarize yourself with the group's activities and processes, you should surf and read the group's website and wiki. In particular, there is further advice if you write a thesis or if you prepare a paper for publication.
- BibTeX: At the group we maintain central BibTeX MIGRATE ME files and a Digital Library.
- LaTeX: The group uses the kcss style for publications and theses.
- KIELER: If you are working in the KIELER project, see the project website and especially read and follow the KIELER wiki!
- WWW Maintenance: To get write-access to our website (that is, to the Typo3 content management system), please ask the system administrator to request this from the webmaster.
- Personal Homepage: You should create a personal homepage, following the layout of the other personal homepages. After doing that, you should contact the secretary, who will link in your page from the Kontakt/Contact page accordingly.
- Drivers Licence: You should get a Landesführerschein, which permits you to drive a CAU vehicle (eg, for excursions). Contact the secretary for this.
- Parking: If you want to park on the CAU campus, you need a "Parkmarke". Contact the secretary for this.
- Publications: To list your publications correctly, you need to add your name to
/home/biblio/bib/bibgen.pl on the aeon server.