Instead of naming this release KIELER Pragmatics 0.12.0, we decided to name it KIELER Pragmatics 2014/05 instead. This way, people immediately see when this version was released. Also, since the plug-ins and features carry a timestamp, people can immediately see which release a particular plug-in or feature belongs to. All hail to clarity!
- See the KIELER Downloads site for download details.
- KIELER Pragmatics requires an installed Java Runtime Environment >= version 1.5.
- The layout components of KIELER can make use of the layout algorithms provided by the GraphViz Graphviz library. You may want to install that.
This is a summary of the API changes introduced with version 2014/05:
- KIELER Light-Weight Lightweight Diagrams
- KIELER Infrastructure for Meta-Layout
Renamed LayoutDataService to LayoutMetaDataService and renamed ILayoutData to ILayoutMetaData in order to avoid confusion with the KLayoutData meta model and the respective interface.
- Removed generic type argument from LayoutOptionData.
ILayoutConfig: renamed API method enrich() to getContextValue(..), renamed getValue(..) to getOptionValue(..), renamed setValue(..) to setOptionValue(..), renamed clearValues() to clearOptionValues(..) – see Configuring Automatic Layout for more details.
IDiagramLayoutManager does not inherit from IAdapterFactory anymore; adapter values are now accessed with layoutManager.getDiagramConfig().getContextValue(..)
Graphiti bridge: moved some methods from KimlGraphitiUtil to GraphitiDiagramLayoutManager in order to allow easier adaptation in subclasses. Furthermore, we now differentiate margins (spacing to visible part of a node) and insets (spacing to nested subgraph).
- Made a design review of the de.cau.cs.kieler.core plugin and improved the API of some core classes and interfaces.
New Features Included in 2014/05
Here's a few highlights of what's new in version 2014/05:
- KIELER Lightweight Diagrams
- KIELER Light-Weight DiagramsKIELER Layout Web Services (KWebS)Infrastructure for Meta-Layout
Made categorization of the Layout View more understandable.
Added a creation method for VolatileLayoutConfig that makes the far too complicated STATIC_CONFIG of layout managers unnecessary.
- KIELER Layout Algorithms
- KLay Layered now makes sure that labels of compound node ports placed on the inside of the compound node are not overlapped by nodes inside the compound node.
- KLay Layered now supports controlling the spacing between and around ports through the new layout options
- KLay Layered now understands LayoutOptions.NO_LAYOUT, which can be set to exclude particular graph elements from automatic layout.
- KLay Layered now understands a new programmatic option for edge thickness.
- When in hierarchical layout mode, KLay Layered now properly places edge labels of cross-hierarchy edges.
- When in hierarchical layout mode, KLay Layered can now compact cross-hierarchy edges as it can compact regular edges (
- KGraph Text
- The textual language for defining KGraphs now has a lot more defaults. Node and port labels are automatically extracted from the node's and port's ID. Nodes and ports also have a default size. This makes for shorter diagram descriptions.
One of the core features of KIELER Pragmatics is the KIELER Infrastructure for Meta-Layout (KIML). It provides the glue between diagram editors and layout algorithms. If you have installed layout support for GMF editors, you may want to try the following:
Known Problems and Limitations
- The Ptolemy Model Viewer can properly display only a limited set of actors. Other actors may look a lot different than they do in Ptolemy.
- Currently there is no full-blown user documentation integrated. See our KIELER for more information.