Instead of naming this release KIELER Pragmatics 0.12.0, we decided to name it KIELER Pragmatics 2014/05 instead. This way, people immediately see when this version was released. Also, since the plug-ins and features carry a timestamp, people can immediately see which release a particular plug-in or feature belongs to. All hail to clarity!
- See the KIELER Downloads site for download details.
- KIELER Pragmatics requires an installed Java Runtime Environment >= version 1.5.
- The layout components of KIELER can make use of the layout algorithms provided by the GraphViz Graphviz library. You may want to install that.
This is a summary of the API changes introduced with version 2014/05:
- KIELER Lightweight Diagrams
- KIELER Infrastructure for Meta-Layout
Renamed LayoutDataService to LayoutMetaDataService and renamed ILayoutData to ILayoutMetaData in order to avoid confusion with the KLayoutData meta model and the respective interface.
- Removed generic type argument from LayoutOptionData.
ILayoutConfig: renamed API method enrich() to getContextValue(..), renamed getValue(..) to getOptionValue(..), renamed setValue(..) to setOptionValue(..), renamed clearValues() to clearOptionValues(..) – see Configuring Automatic Layout for more details.
IDiagramLayoutManager does not inherit from IAdapterFactory anymore; adapter values are now accessed with layoutManager.getDiagramConfig().getContextValue(..)
Graphiti bridge: moved some methods from KimlGraphitiUtil to GraphitiDiagramLayoutManager in order to allow easier adaptation in subclasses. Furthermore, we now differentiate margins (spacing to visible part of a node) and insets (spacing to nested subgraph).
- Made a design review of the de.cau.cs.kieler.core plugin and improved the API of some core classes and interfaces.
New Features Included in 2014/05
- KIELER Lightweight Diagrams
- KIELER Layout Web Services (KWebS)Infrastructure for Meta-Layout
Made categorization of the Layout View more understandable.
Added a creation method for VolatileLayoutConfig that makes the far too complicated STATIC_CONFIG of layout managers unnecessary.
- KIELER Layout Algorithms
- KLay Layered now makes sure that labels of compound node ports placed on the inside of the compound node are not overlapped by nodes inside the compound node.
- KLay Layered now supports controlling the spacing between and around ports through the new layout options
- KLay Layered now understands LayoutOptions.NO_LAYOUT, which can be set to exclude particular graph elements from automatic layout.
- KLay Layered now understands a new programmatic option for edge thickness.
- When in hierarchical layout mode, KLay Layered now properly places edge labels of cross-hierarchy edges.
- When in hierarchical layout mode, KLay Layered can now compact cross-hierarchy edges as it can compact regular edges (
- KGraph Text
- The textual language for defining KGraphs now has a lot more defaults. Node and port labels are automatically extracted from the node's and port's ID. Nodes and ports also have a default size. This makes for shorter diagram descriptions.
One of the core features of KIELER Pragmatics is the KIELER Infrastructure for Meta-Layout (KIML). It provides the glue between diagram editors and layout algorithms. If you have installed layout support for GMF editors, you may want to try the following:
Known Problems and Limitations
- The Layout Hierarchy option of KLay Layered does not work with center labels of edges that cross hierarchy boundaries. There may also be further problems.The Ptolemy Model Viewer can properly display only a limited set of actors. Other actors may look a lot different than they do in Ptolemy.
- Currently there is no full-blown user documentation integrated. See our KIELER for more information.