Welcome to the Confluence Wiki of the Layout Practical 2013. What this Wiki is all about:
- It's the place where we post important information on the practical, such as due dates and similar information.
- It's also the place where we post tutorials. You will spend the first part of the practical working through the tutorials before starting your individual projects.
- And finally, it's the place where each group will document their project.
About This Practical
This practical is about layout algorithms for graphs. A graph layout algorithm generates a two-dimensional layout that consists of positioning data for nodes (represented as closed shapes) and routing data for edges (represented as curves). There are several approaches for designing graph layout algorithms (1,2). As a participant of this practical, you will work together with other students in order to design or extend specific layout algorithms using the Java programming language. The algorithms will be implemented according to the layout interface of the KIELER project, which is based on the Eclipse platform. The results may be published as part of the KIELER open source.
This is what we want the practical to teach you:
- Version management with Git.
- Development and testing with the Eclipse platform and KIELER frameworks.
- Working in groups and self-organization.
- Implementing complex graph algorithms with Java.
(1) Giuseppe Di Battista, Peter Eades, Roberto Tamassia, and Ioannis G. Tollis. Graph Drawing: Algorithms for the Visualization of Graphs. Prentice Hall, 1998.
(2) Michael Kaufmann and Dorothea Wagner. Drawing Graphs: Methods and Models. LNCS vol. 2025, Springer, 2001.
Here's the list of tutorials you will be working through during the first part of the practical. Click a tutorial's name to navigate to its Wiki page. Each tutorial comes with two dates: the posted date, specifying when you may start working on it; and the due date, specifying when the tutorial is due to be handed in. Please resist the temptation to start working on tutorials before they have been officially posted; those are still being worked on and may change, rendering your previous work obsolete.
|Git||Miro||Apr 10th||Apr 17th||Introduction to the Git source code management tool.|
|Christoph Daniel||Apr 17th||Apr 24th|
Introduction to the KIELER Infrastructure for Meta Layout.
Here's the list of group projects, along with the group members. Click the project names to navigate to their respective Wiki pages.
We will hold regular meetings each Thursday from 14:00 to 15:30 in room 1118. The meetings will usually consist of a presentation about the next tutorial or a presentation of one of the groups.
Here's a handy list of the most important dates:
|2013/04/10 10:15||First meeting in room LMS3 Ü2.|
|2013/04/18 14:00||Meeting for introduction of second tutorial in R.1118|
|2013/04/25 14:00||Meeting for discussion of semester projects in R.1118|
|2013-05-02 14:00||Meeting for presentation of first project results in R. 1118|
- No labels